Hello Global Educators,
We are excited to kick-off Flat Connections Global Project 18-2 (FCGP 18-1)! If you were unable to attend our kick-off meeting just a few hours ago, I have included the highlights in this email.
Here are the important topics that were discussed:
- All teachers and students should join the ning: http://flatconnectionsglobalproject.net
- Please have students use naming conventions which uses their first name, last initial, and school code (ex: AmyJ_DHS)
- Students can begin introducing themselves on the ning either through a blog post, podcast, and/or a short video. This is an opportunity for students to get to know one another and share interesting information regarding school, community, culture, personal interests, etc.
- All teachers and students should join the 18-1 Project group on the ning: http://flatconnectionsglobalproject.net/group/fcgp-18-1-proiject-group
- This is a nice way for students to find one another on a ning that has grown to thousands of members over the years.
- All teachers should join the 18-1 teacher group on the ning: http://flatconnectionsglobalproject.net/group/fcgp-18-1-teacher-group
- The teacher group is where meeting updates will be posted.
- Teachers should use this google group to exchange questions, ideas, and/or concerns. This google group is not viewable by students. It is for teachers only.
- Please begin adding your students to the team grid and use your students' naming convention. We ask that just teachers edit the grid to help keep it organized. Once the grid is finalized, we will share it out with students so they are able to reach out to their teammates.
Here is our overall timeline for the project:
- Classroom and student handshake: Feb. 26 - March 11
- Collaborative editing: March 12 - April 9
- Video pitches and creation: April
- Video outsourced requests due: April 16
- Video outsourced requests completed and uploaded: April 23
- FCGP videos due: April 30
- Student Summits: May
- Video Judging Phase 1: May 1-8
- Video Judging Phase 2 (meta-judging): May 8-14
- Awards ceremony: After May 14
We will host online meetings for teachers approximately every two weeks to discuss upcoming phases of the project as we move from communication to collaboration to creation. Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions or concerns. We are here to support one another as we travel this journey of global collaboration together.
We look forward to our continued work over the coming weeks!
Amy & Sheri