This network is for educators and students of the Flat Connections Global Project

FCGP Workflow

Latest News

It's here now!

The Global Educator, by Julie Lindsay

Hello Everyone,

Great keynote from Rushton Hurley.   Fabulous presentation and conversation.

Keynote Recording

Please have a listen and share your thoughts.  There are a lot of ideas here for video creation and collaboration among students around the world of all ages.  Think about the power of feedback from an authentic global audience.  The possibilities are endless and all students have something to contribute.  Take a risk!  Be creative!  Thank you to Rushton for such an inspiring conversation!

Check out the meeting slides as well.

Start a conversation here.  Please watch and respond.  We would all love to hear what you think.

Views: 915

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought this video was very interesting. My favorite part was when he was explaining how people look at being in a wheelchair as a disability, how it's sad the only way they can move around is with the chair. But then he talked about how nobody looks at having to go scuba diving with oxygen strapped to your back as a disability, no one thinks that's sad, because that's the only way you can do it. I also agree that mostly every kid wants things to be just good enough. Another part I liked was when he was talking about the button theory. I liked how he explained that both are effective ways of doing it. Kids will learn as they go while they adults want to know what it does before they press it.

Rushton Hurley's webinar was very intriguing. I can tell he is a very intelligent man full of great ideas. I think it is interesting how Hurley relates 2 different people learning differently to a button. He uses DK's button theory to explain how the 2 different types of people can see a button and one will immediately push it and another will think and contemplate the results of pushing the button but neither ideas are wrong. I like how he uses this to connect to learning. That is why a project like this FCGP project is such a good idea for students to take part in. This project allows students to share their work with a broader audience of people and allows them to get feedback from more people so that they can further improve their own work and knowledge. I really do think that if all teachers took this under consideration, then a lot of the way students learn will change; most likely for the good.

I found this video really interesting the way Rushton explained everything and made it easier to understand helped a lot. I think what he talked about made me really think about how much effort i put into my work. Many things he went over showed that its good work not just good enough thats why i liked the video and it inspired me. 

The Key note was very informational and eye opening. Mr. Hurley said and that both students and teachers can improve on their ideas and actions and I found that to be understandable. Something I found interesting is that people can improve by receiving constructive criticism. I'm an aspiring artist and I'm always looking for help and ideas to better my skills in art. This shows that students can learn and understand from their mistakes, and improve on their goals based on others' feedback. One point Mr. Hurley brought up was the button theory, meaning a child will push a button to see what it does, while an adult will first ask what the button does before pressing it. It shows a child's curiosity.

Rushton Hurley's video was inspiring. It really opened up my mind and makes me feel proud to be able to be involved in this project. Its weird to think about the certain things that he said. He went on to say how in whatever you are doing in life, it is important to enjoy what you are doing because the outcome will be much better. That is so unbelievably true. It is also true that children and adults have 2 different outlooks on the world. A poet I know talked about that comparison also. It is just a cool subject to think about. 

This video was very interesting. I think that Rushton Hurley is a well spoken man. I think he has a lot of good ideas about getting students to work together. Being connected to each other helps the project and will make everyone a team player.

I thought this video was very interesting. My favorite part was when he was explaining how people look at being in a wheelchair as a disability, how it's sad the only way they can move around is with the chair. But then he talked about how nobody looks at having to go scuba diving with oxygen strapped to your back as a disability, no one thinks that's sad, because that's the only way you can do it. I also agree that mostly every kid wants things to be just good enough, and to be better. Another part I liked was when he was talking about the button theory, that was interesting. I liked how he explained that both are effective ways of doing it. Kids will learn as they go while they adults want to know what it does before they press it. This really taught me alot. I loved this project.

My take on the "Button Theory" is that we as people do need to strive to not be afraid of taking risks, but we also need to be aware of these risks and have a foresight as to what the consequences might be. Children may be more inclined to push the button to see what it does because they lack the life experience and hindsight of an adult. I found it very interesting that Rushton mentioned that students tackle assignments with the attitude that they just need to get the project done. I believe that when students do the bare minimum amount of work essential to get a good grade they are actually doing themselves a disservice. Students are given assignments in order to learn, but are they truly learning when they breeze through assignment after assignment, only doing the bare minimum? I once had a teacher who gave me a final for her class with options. Option A was an assignment that was extremly easy, anyone could it overnight, but the best score you could earn  by doing the project was a C because it was not anything above average, option B was harder and the highest grade you could earn was an A. I really though about this assignment. Do I do the bare minimum and pass, or do I go above and beyond. Which would benefit me more? I chose option B because 1) I wanted to get an A, and 2) I felt as if I was not truly going to learn anything if I choose to apply my knowledge to a run of the mill, meaningless task. I believe that if we take our time on our work, and do everything to the best of our ability, we will come away from our studies with meaningful experiences. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Julie Lindsay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service